Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bible translations

As the old saying goes, the best Bible translation is the one you'll read. I'm reading through the Bible cover to cover. This year I intend to finish my MESSAGE translation and move onto the New Century version. I find that reading in a new Bible and a new translation helps keep my devotional time fresh.

In addition to this, I'm working through a daily one-year Bible reading plan using the New Living Translation. I also read two daily devotionals... one on spiritual leadership and the other one on spiritual growth. And I'm always reading at least one book on the side.

Why is this so important? As a spiritual leader, this plan enables me to keep my edge. If I'm not growing spiritually (not just reading, but applying what I learn), then I have little (nothing) to offer those that look to me for leadership.

I'd be interested in hearing which translation is your favorite. And what advice do you have for others trying to keep their devotional lives fresh?

1 comment:

  1. I love the Amplified version. It brings out so much and makes things more relatable. If you don't like to read wordy things than you won't like this but I get a lot out of it.

    For the Ladies out there you might try a Beth Moore DVD Bible study. You can watch the teaching sessions online (for a small fee) and there is a workbook for you homework during the week. They are indepth and cover many subjects. I am doing the one on Esther right now. I buy the bible study and we do it as a group at our church. You can learn a lot from these studies.
    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete